What Does the Fox Say: What General Advice Do You Have for Us?

What does the fox say?-2

Dear DocFox –

We are through the first couple of weeks of school, any general advice you have for us?

The Fox Says:

Admittedly, I used to despise inspirational quotes.  I have never purchased or read a single Chicken Soup for the Soul book.  Maybe it’s the fact that I’m now in my 40’s, or perhaps it’s my time spent working with college students, but I tend to look at some inspirational quotes from a new perspective.  And it may sound cheesy, but I have become inspired by the quotes.

“Life isn’t about finding yourself. 

Life is about creating yourself.”

There is some question as to the accuracy around whether or not this quote is attributed to Irish playwright George Bernard Shaw, but regardless of who said it first, it has become – as a Career Coach – my absolute favorite “quote du jour.”  Let’s replace “life” with “college”, however.

College isn’t about finding yourself. 

College is about creating yourself.”

Should you take time to explore?  ABSOLUTELY!  However, you must work for your success and own the actions that you take. In the Knowlton Center, we talk a lot about the importance of student agency.  Exploration is a piece of agency.  Explore opportunities and then show up, be engaged, and work hard to create your academic, personal, professional, and co-curricular self.
And, isn’t that one of the best parts of a liberal arts education?  From the diverse curriculum to the variety of opportunities, you have many mediums in your reach.  Denison is your canvas … now it’s up to you to create you.
Sincerely,

DocFox