Summer Internship Series: Margie’s Girls

Josie Olschansky ’18
Social Media and PR Intern, Margie Korshak Inc., Chicago, IllinoisMargie korshak inc. logo

My name is Josie Olschansky and I am a senior creative writing major. This summer I interned at a PR firm called Margie Korshak Inc. located in Chicago, Illinois. Margie Korshak is a boutique PR agency that has been around for over 50 years. It started out as the only PR firm in the city and opened everything on Michigan Avenue from Bloomingdales, to Sax Fifth Avenue, to restaurants, to Chanel. Margie Korshak, the founder and CEO of the company, is someone who still has an enormous amount of respect and prestige within the industry. I was most impressed by the fact that even though she is eighty years old she still comes into the office every single day!

I have had a number of PR / marketing internships but it was truly an honor to get to work for Margie. During my time there I was a social media and PR intern, which meant that I created and scheduled social media for our various clients. As an intern, I wrote posts on multiple platforms for clients, remodeled the company’s Media Kit, drafted and edited press releases and post releases for companies such as Krispy Kreme, interviewed and selected four new fall interns, and I developed and organized copious media lists.

I definitely learned a lot throughout my experience and acquired tools and skills that I hope to bring with me wherever I end up after graduation. The absolute best part of my internship was the other interns that I become close with. We spent so much time together that we truly became friends; we called ourselves “Margie’s Girls” and we had lunch together every day outside the building. That hour of lunch was the perfect escape from the business of the office. My summer went by so fast that before I knew it I was packing my things to come home.