Summer Internship Series: A Summer in the Art World

Adriana Kidon ’19
Editorial Intern and Personal Assistant, Musee Magazine, New York, New YorkMusee magazine: vanguard of photography culture

My name is Adriana Kidon and I’m currently a junior student here at Denison studying PPE. This past summer, I had the awesome opportunity of interning at Musee Magazine in New York City. Musee is a photography-based, digital quarterly magazine and website that features works by emerging and established artists. I served as an editorial intern for the magazine as well as a personal assistant for the Editor in Chief, Andrea Blanch, accomplished and prominent commercial and fine art photographer involved most famously with Vogue, Elle, and Rolling Stone magazines.

Working both of these positions simultaneously really helped me learn what I like, do not like, and ultimately, gave me a clearer picture of what I want to do in my future. As a personal assistant, I handled personal and office phone calls/emails, managed calendars and intern schedules, scheduled interviews with potential new hires, and maintained physical and digital database files to ensure office organization. All of these tasks are certainly crucial in order to maintain any publication, but I found that it was not something I enjoyed. I felt my creativity was a bit dulled when I had to spend a day managing mundane organization tasks. On the other hand, I found my spark as an editorial intern. In this position, I worked as a writer and editor for the magazine. I researched emerging and established artists to be featured in future issues and developed new content on photographers, gallery exhibitions, and the current environment of contemporary photography to be published in the quarterly magazine and on the magazine’s website. Additionally, I got the chance to proofread and copy-edit colleagues’ works for grammatical errors and qualitative revisions.

I really found my passion in writing and now know that it is something I’d truly like to go into in some shape or form.