Summer Internship Series: Making a Difference Through Medicine

Kira Sawyers ’18

Medical Intern, Columbus, Ohio

My name is Kira Sawyers, I am a senior and a Biology major with a Violin Performance Music minor.  This summer I had the opportunity to intern with two Denison alumnae as a medical intern in Columbus, Ohio.

Dr. Anne Taylor is an alumna of Denison University and runs her own medical office as a plastic surgeon, called Aesthetica Surgery and Spa. The primary focus of Aestethica is to empower patients to feel comfortable in their own body. Dr. Biggs is also an alumna of Denison University and works as a hospitalist at Doctors Hospital and OhioHealth. Dr. Biggs focuses on extremely sick patients who have been admitted to the hospital. Both Dr. Biggs and Dr. Taylor provided an inside look into the career of medicine.

During the internship, I was able to watch live surgeries, interact with patients and work on medical cases. My role was to observe Dr. Biggs and Dr. Taylor and choose a specific medical case of interest to further research. This was a challenging task as many of the cases were fascinating and I had to interact and work directly with the medical residents. It was intimidating to work with them, but it allowed me to experience the different stages of the medical profession. Overall, my internship allowed me more fully understand the demands and needs of medicine and gave me valuable hands on experience that I will use in the future.

Dr. Biggs and Dr. Taylor were great mentors. Both Dr. Taylor and Dr. Biggs were extremely helpful in explain how to apply to medical schools, and how to prepare for the MCAT.They also taught me relevant medical terminology and procedures as they interacted with patients.

At the end of the internship, I had the opportunity to write a case report on a case of my choice. I chose a case involving the effects of intravenous drug use in the development of bacterial endocarditis. This case was complex and required analysis and research. Despite the difficulty, I was able to learn valuable knowledge on the effects of drugs on the body. I also gained valuable experience in having to follow strict medical guidelines for a case report, which will be a necessary skill for medical school.

My summer with Dr. Biggs and Dr. Taylor has helped me solidify my professional goals and has given me insight into a career in plastic surgery and internal medicine. I am certain that a career in medicine will allow me to help those in need and to give back to the community.

I would like to thank Dr. Taylor and her medical staff, and Dr. Biggs and OhioHealth for a wonderful internship experience.