Summer Internship Series: Summer in Politics

Chuck Eiben ’19

Republican Party of Cuyahoga County, Cleveland, Ohio

Over the summer I had the opportunity to intern for the Republican Party of Cuyahoga County. I have always been deeply fascinated in politics, even from a young age, and I finally got the opportunity to get a look of it from the inside this summer. My typical day at work was nothing exciting, but I would definitely say that it helped me a lot. My responsibilities included: making phone calls, stuffing envelopes, and helping to organize certain events. The event planning aspect of my internship was by far the most intriguing, as I was able to learn the importance of networking by having the opportunity to meet various high level officials in politics. For example, this summer I had the chance to meet with Vice President Mike Pence, Attorney General Mike DeWine, Secretary of State John Husted, Congressmen Jim Renacci and Jim Jordan among many others. The opportunity to meet high level officials taught me that networking can be a useful too, especially when the time comes for job searching during post graduation. Being a part of these events and having the responsibility to plan them also helped me become much more comfortable in my own skin, which made me much more of a confident person.

Overall, I think that I can honestly say that this was a truly wonderful summer experience. After completing this internship, I think that I have a much clearer vision of what I might want to do with my life after graduation. I can definitely see myself doing something in the realm of politics or public service. In fact, my boss has already invited me back to continue doing work for the party whenever I am not in school.