Summer Internship Series: Columbus Museum of Art

Jiaxin Liu ’18

Summer Art Workshop Intern, Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, Ohio

My name is Jiaxin Liu. I now am a senior in Studio Art major, Economics minor. During the past summer, I did my internship in Columbus Museum of Art in Columbus, Ohio. During the two and half months’ internship, I worked as a Summer Art Workshop intern. Except helping with all the summer art workshops, I also helped with several programs in the museum such as Artful Adventures and Museum on the Move.

I expected to explore more about the positions in the museums and galleries and know what do those staffs typically do. I also wanted to gain more experience working in the art field. I am very happy that achieved what I expected during the past summer. For this internship, I gained more knowledge about the museum such as “how many departments art museums often have” and “what kind of program a visitor can participate in the museum”. I also got a lot of inspiration on art making surrounded by great artworks. Because of helping with art workshops in different theme, I learned many new art making skills that I haven’t learn in class. One of the greatest thing during this internship is I learned to work with diverse groups and individuals. It made me feel more confident working with others. I learned a lot; explored a lot; and gained a lot during this summer internship. I really appreciate that Knowlton Center helped me on getting this internship. I also feel thankful that Denison generously support me with the stipend to achieve my goal.