Summer Internship Series: Knowledge Gains

Duncan Tulimieri ’19

Strength and Conditioning Coach Intern, Prentiss Hockey Performance, Stamford, Connecticut

My name is Duncan Tulimieri and I am a Health, Exercise, and Sports Studies major and Biology minor at Denison University. Over the summer of 2017, I was a strength and conditioning coach intern at Prentiss Hockey Performance. I am currently a junior and plan to graduate in 2019 and go on to a graduate school for Kinesiology after graduation from Denison. I am the alternative captain for the men’s ice hockey team.

My internship was a very unique one to say the least. I wasn’t sitting at a desk and looking at a computer and spreadsheets like one imagines an internship would be. I actually did the complete opposite. I was up at the crack of dawn and moving around all day, setting up and breaking down exercises for both professional ice hockey players and the general population. The internship had many great aspects, but my favorite part was getting to know some of the athletes and learn about their views and perspectives about strength and conditioning. I learned that being a strength coach is not only just about being able to work someone out, but also about talking to the person and realizing that you are dealing with a person, not a textbook or skeleton. One of the most rewarding parts of the internship was that I got to see many topics talked about in the classroom, be applied in real life. Some topics that I saw get applied in the gym that were talked about in the classroom were; the stretch shortening cycle, passive insufficiency, isokinetic movements, isotonic movements, isometric movements, etc. It’s one thing to learn about concepts in the classroom and be tested on them, but it’s a whole different setting when you apply them to real live people, and watch how it affects them.

I could not have gotten, or done, this internship without the help of my parents, my supervisors, and the generous donor who supplied me with a stipend. I would also like to thank the people at Prentiss Hockey Performance for helping me to expand my mind and think about things in a different way.