Summer Internship Series: Large Art, Small Shed

Evelyn Kendix ’19

Curatorial Intern, the Shed, Columbus, Ohio

Evelyn kendix '19 painting a shed greenMy name is Evelyn Kendix. I am junior Studio Art major, with a minor in Art History. I worked at the Shed as a curatorial intern, helping artists, assisting the head of the gallery, and doing general artistic duties. Additionally, I got to explore Columbus’s vast and fast changing art scene. I was able to stretch my abilities during this internship. Form woodwork to social media, I learned lots! I was able to expand my network of art connections through Blake Turner’s vast network of OSU artists and graduate students. I was able to connect with Ann Hamilton, a long term inspiration of mine, along with other artists who fascinated me. I worked on multiple exhibitions, including working with textiles, paint, printmaking, and videography. Each day was different at the Shed. Sometimes it was manual labour of construction, sometimes it was more conceptual research. I learned how to better talk about my personal artwork, through listening to others discuss their work. This was a big goal for me, so it was very satisfying to be able to achieve this. I would like to acknowledge Blake Turner in this blog post. He was my boss, but beyond that, a mentor. I feel comfortable saying that he was more than authority figure, I would consider him an influence in my artwork and my general practices. Additionally, thank you to the Denison Studio Art Program, Art History program, and the Knowlton Center for assisting me in connecting with Blake.