Summer Internship Series: A Prideful Summer

Justine Morelli ’18

Intern, MassEquality, Boston, Massachusetts

This past summer I had the opportunity to intern at MassEquality in Boston, Massachusetts for four months. Thanks to the McMahon Fund, I was able to commute by train for an hour each way into the city, four days a week, all summer long, to work at this organization. MassEquality is the leading statewide grassroots advocacy organization working to ensure that everyone across Massachusetts can thrive from cradle to grave without discrimination and oppression based on sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. The non-profit does this by partnering across issues, identities and communities to build a broad, inclusive and politically powerful movement that changes hearts and minds and achieves policy and electoral victories.

Throughout the summer, I gained experience canvassing, organizing events, recruiting voters and volunteers for the MA 2018 ballot, researching key political issues, writing testimony for bills in the State House, and listening in on pivotal hearings in the legislature. This summer gave me a foundation in the world of lobbying and non- profit advocacy work that will definitely benefit me in my future endeavors after Denison. I became really interested in testimony and legal writing, as well as research for bills in the House and Senate.

The most exciting part of my summer was volunteering at Boston Pride in June. Seeing the city come together at one big festival parade on a beautiful day was an amazing experience. Working with MassEquality allowed me to fall in love again with my home state of Massachusetts. I became passionate about political work and writing testimony for bills; working here allowed me to realize that I really can make a change in my community by starting at the political level and using my own voice. I am so thankful to the Knowlton Center for helping me with my resumé and the McMahon fund for this experience.