Denisonians in Health Professions: Team Physician

Denisonians in health professions: team physician - grant-jones-205x300.png image #0Grant Jones ’88

Role: Allopathic Team Physician

Professional School attended:
The Ohio State University College of Medicine, graduated in 1992

Current Titles: Team Physician-Department of Athletics and Professor- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery

Fun Fact: As a team physician for Ohio State’s basketball team, I have been known to get excited at times during games.  During one game, one of our players hit a game-winning shot to win the Big Ten Title.  I was so excited that I ran onto the court before realizing that there were .7 seconds left on the clock.  I promptly ran back to the bench, but not before being caught on TV doing so.  Unfortunately, the mad shot was the ESPN play of the week that was replayed over and over again.  I could not watch ESPN for a week due to the embarrassment!

Describe the process you went through to select your career path: what impacted your decision?
I was injured quite often growing up- several lacerations and broken bones.  So, I spent a lot of time in physician’s offices, particular Orthopaedic surgeons.  And, all of the physicians I met seemed to really enjoy what they were doing.  I was also influenced by my brother, who also went to Denison, four years ahead of me.  He ended up in pre-medicine and then went on to medical school at Ohio State as well.  In terms of Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, my specialty, I love sports and I love surgery, so my occupation allows me to do both.

What are your favorite aspects of your profession?
I really enjoy surgery, particularly challenging cases, during which you often have to be real creative.  I also enjoy covering athletic events and covering athletic training rooms.  It is very gratifying to see an athlete whom I have worked on return to his or her sport.

What is the most challenging aspect of your work?
The hours can be very long.  Some days, I leave at 5 o’clock in the morning to do surgery, and then have to go straight from work to cover a sporting event until 11-12 at night.  I also take trauma calls, during which I am up operating all night before having to go into work that AM.

Describe what a typical day looks like for you.
Surgery usually starts at 7 AM.  I then operate until 3-5 PM depending on the day.  After that, I often cover one of OSU’s athletic training rooms until 5-6 PM.  During the school year, I often have to cover sporting events after training room.  If there are no sporting events to cover, then I return home around 6 and eat dinner with my family before getting a work out in.         

What advice would you give a student interested in pursuing your field?
Spend as much time as possible shadowing physicians to make sure that this field is right for you.  Work is often difficult and long, but it is very gratifying when you can help someone.  Make sure that you are able to put the time and effort into medical school, residency and practicing medicine.  It is a lot of hard work.  Also, I would advise looking into completing summer research projects in medicine.  This certainly helps when applying to medical school.