Denisonians in Health Professions: Nursing

A path to health professions: nursing - beverly-fleuter-200x300.png image #0Beverly Fleuter ’13 (Johnson)

Role: Registered Nurse

Professional Schools attended: Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing (2014); Arizona State University

Fun Fact: I have been to all 50 states!

Describe the process you went through to select your career path: what impacted your decision?
Many of my family, friends, and mentors thought I would be a good nurse and that I would enjoy the professional development involved. I did A LOT of background research and preparation to decide how and when to go to nursing school. I knew I was doing the right thing when I enjoyed my prerequisites and was excited about the nursing curriculum.

What are your favorite aspects of your profession?
I get to work face to face with patients and families every day. I also get to participate in the science of nursing by doing research. Nursing has dozens of trajectories that all lead to very different lifestyles and a variety of specialties. I could decide to go into nursing informatics and help engineer the programming we use in the hospital or I could go work in the OR as a scrub nurse. There are so many options.  

What is the most challenging aspect of your work?
Remembering self-care. Nursing is a physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging job, especially at the bedside. Fortunately, many organizations provide support with this aspect.

Describe what a typical day looks like for you.       
I work a 12 hour shift, three days a week. I get to work at 7AM and leave around 7:30PM. I get a report on how my patients did overnight and then implement treatments for them throughout the day in conjunction with the medical team, social workers, and physical therapy.

What advice would you give a student interested in pursuing your field?
Just like there are many career trajectories, there are also many different educational trajectories. Diploma programs, Bachelors, Masters, Doctoral (Clinical and Research), and Certificates. Talk to someone who has pursued nursing as a “second degree” or a second career to give you guidance on what will be the most cost effective degree for your goals!