Denisonians in Health Professions: Osteopathic Physician

Denisonians in health professions: osteopathic physician - douglas-kubek.png image #0Douglas Kubek ’90

Role: Osteopathic Physician

Professional School(s) attended: Midwestern University Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, graduated in 1995 

Current titles: Henry Ford Health System Director of Residency Program Otolaryngology Facial Plastic Surgery, Director of Sleep Medicine Lakeshore Ear Nose and Throat

Fun Fact: I’m an avid surfer and backcountry skier  

Describe the process you went through to select your career path: what impacted your decision?
I did several internships with physicians to decide what specialty to pursue. I have always wanted to be a physician and was influence by my father who is a physician.

What are your favorite aspects of your profession?
Making connections with my patients and being part of the process to achieve better health for them. I also enjoy the surgical options for treatment.     

What is the most challenging aspect of your work?
Caring for patients that, unfortunately, ultimately die from their disease process.

Describe what a typical day looks like for you.       
I’m in the office 2-3 days a week from 8:00am-4:30pm and then have surgery scheduled for 2-3 days a week.

What advice would you give a student interested in pursuing your field?
Spend some time with a physician to see if this occupation/profession is a passionate calling. Study as hard as possible to achieve a high GPA and MCAT, get involved in clinical research and medically related community service.