1

Conserving Water

This morning I started off pretty well with consuming water. I didn’t think that I would be able to do it very well because I thought I was pretty good at conserving water for the little things except with my showers. Since becoming more aware of my water consumption and the things I can do to make a lesser impact I have now found myself doing a lot of things that save water. As many other people have mentioned, turning off the faucet in between brushing my teeth or washing my face are big things when you figure out how much it added up. I noticed how long the faucet would run when I didn’t turn it off. I’m going to have a hard time taking shorter showers, I usually take a 20-25 minute shower so my goal by the end of the week is to get it to 10 minutes because 20 minutes is just too excessive. Today that was really difficult and I forgot to try and push myself to make it shorter.

I think the hardest part will be waste and food. We accumulate so much waste and don’t even think about it, so I think it will be a big transition to change this habit of waste. I am going to try and minimize what I throw away and things that I use that can be thrown away and to recycle everything that can be recycled. I think that will be the largest transition. Food will also be difficult because the dining halls, which don’t share where the food comes from, dictate our food.

Taylor Pavlik

1. Taylor,

Baby steps are an awesome start. They can only get bigger. Changes that disrupt a regular routine are hard to adjust to, but in time become second nature and much easier to accomplish. It’s pretty difficult with water because people normally do not think about how much they consume on a daily basis and monitoring their water use puts things into perspective. It’s still hard to change habits even when you know how much you use. Again, baby steps=win.