1

Using Less Water

Today, for reducing my water consumption, I set similar goals to most of my classmates by taking shorter showers, reinstating the phrase “if it’s yellow, let it mellow,” and turning the faucet off when I’m “soaping up” my hands. I feel like starting today made it even easier because of the lovely weather. The main reasons I went inside were to use the facilities and to refill my nalgene.

From observing my regular habits, I found that my showers are between 7 and 10 minutes,  I drink about 8 cups of water a day, and I only turn on the faucet when I put my toothbrush under the faucet and rinse it, which is very little time. Even though I consider my water use habits to be fairly reasonable, I still tried to make room for improvement for this week to see what excess water I could cut out from my daily routine.

Again, I reinstated the phrase “if it’s yellow, let it mellow” and worked with Megan Hart to accomplish the feat. It’s a simple thing we can do as neighbors to lower our water consumption. This as one of my goals was not hard getting used to, considering I have had to do it before on many occasions. Also for my shower today, since I don’t wash my hair every day, I timed myself at around 5 minutes total. The efforts are working! Even though I’m consciously using less water, I feel better about what I’m doing, not that I’m depriving myself of something that is readily available. It feels worth while and I enjoy it.

Sarah Post

1. I definitely agree with everything that you said in this post! I think that the warm weather does really influence people’s water consumption as people were outside more than normal today, myself included. Their primary reasons for going inside were to use the facilities and fill up their water bottles, like you stated and this really helped reduce their overall water consumption. Then, with cutting down the shower time, I think that this is something that everyone can really strive to do also. Not only will this reduce our overall water usage, but it is also polite to your other floormates who may be waiting to shower. I especially see this issue in the morning when everyone is getting ready to go to classes and a lot of people want to shower at the same time. Girls are always waiting to get in the shower. Therefore, if you cut down your shower time, not only will you be benefitting your floormates, but the environment at the same time.

Finally, with the, “if it’s yellow, let it mellow,” I think that this is something that can be implemented in the bathrooms, but it would probably be pretty hard to do. Therefore, I think that the most reasonable thing to do would be to make people more aware of the dual flush action and make sure that they are pressing it the appropriate way before flushing. This will make everyone more aware of saving water and then once everyone is pressing the lever accordingly, the next step could be to implement the, “if it’s yellow, let it mellow.” Good luck to you and Megan in implementing this!