5

Day 1: A Learning Experience

Today was definitely an eye opener. Not only was it easier than I expected, but also more enjoyable.

I woke up at 5:00 AM today for swim practice and I usually eat a piece of pb toast before, just to fuel my workout. I also usually use plastic silverware and a paper towel but this morning, I used regular silverware and no paper towel. After my workout, I took a quick five minute shower (a big goal). Not only did I save time, but I realized a 20 minute shower is not necessary for me. I went to breakfast at Huffman around 8:00, and had an english muffin with peanut butter. I did not use a plate or napkin. I also brought my water bottle and reusable coffee mug to fill up.

Throughout the day, I followed relatively this same routine. The only obstacle I encountered was turning my air conditioning off. This upset my roommate, and she turned it on immediately. Although she has asthma, she likes the AC for comfort, but it also uses a lot of energy. My other obstacle I encountered was my goal of only taking one shower a day. I forgot the fact that I do two workouts a day, both involving intense sweating. So after my afternoon workout, I absolutely had to take a shower. This was not only for my sake, but also for everyone else’s. So I’m revising my goal. Two showers a day, however, 10 minutes max total. We will see how that goes! Happy NI Week everyone! 🙂

Molly Willingham

1. Molly, I totally understand how its hard not to take a shower after a workout, but when you really think about it most of the time you end up spending in the shower is not even necessary. Its been weird taking short showers, but i felt like I was just as clean as I would have been with a short one. Over all, good job!

2. Mary, great suggestions! Molly, glad you are working hard on the goals you can maintain and seeing how you might be able to work around others. Sometimes this project takes a little creativity. Good luck!

3. Your shower goals sound a lot like mine! I like my showers, so that has been hard. I wouldn’t be too worried about the AC though. Sometimes, comfort is more important. We just have to decide where the cutoff is. You’re also right about it being easier than expected. I’m glad I’m not the only one. It’s pretty cool. Keep it up!

4. Molly, I’m really impressed you managed to take those 5 minute showers, that was the hardest part for me! It sounds like you’re doing a really great job with this project! Keep it up!

5. Molly, I had similar issues with air ventilation. Not that my roommate was bothered by it, but the dorm rooms get stuffy pretty quickly. I planned on leaving my fan unplugged all week, but I realized that might be difficult. On a windy afternoon like today, having the window open, the wind kind of blew the fan by itself. But tonight my room got very hot and I decided that while I am out of the room and throughout the day I will leave it unplugged. I will turn it on when necessary only for an hour and a half at most. I also figure that during the time it might conserve more energy if I charge my computer and phone (when necessary) in the same power-strip. Good luck tomorrow!