3

Day 1: Confidence

The first day has honestly gone better than I expected. This whole thing may be more fun than I expected. Motivation and confidence in my goals will carry me a long way. Day one has already provided evidence for this. I have really minimized my trash. A few things (a bottle and some cardboard) were¬†recyclable. My downfall is the dreaded food wrapper. I had two granola wrappers and way too many candy wrappers. I don’t usually eat candy, but a friend gave it to me, so I ate it. Even after one day, I’ve begun to hone in on more specific goals. I knew I would have to reduce trash, for example, but I think I am capable of making no more trash than will fit in a plastic drink bottle. My goal is to keep my trash as small as possible (like candy wrappers). This goes for recycle too. I want it all in that 20 oz. bottle. The thing is, I have so much stuff that I already bought, I’ll just have to make more waste later. I hope that this week’s goals will rub off onto future habits. I really think I can do this.

The first day was pretty exciting. Shower times were reduced by probably five minutes total. I take two showers a day with crew practice, so it is tough. Reducing each shower to less than five minutes will be a challenge, but I can do it. The motivation associated with this week is a big help. That’s all it takes. I’m ready to see what I can do tomorrow. I’ve already had at least one stranger make a comment on my vegetarian, napkinless meals at the dining hall. What’s hurting me the most though is the fact that I still have to drive in a car. I don’t have a car on campus, but I drive the vans for Admissions, and I can’t avoid that. Same goes for crew. We have to drive to water practice. Though there is no way to avoid that, I plan to not go anywhere else. I was worried at first, but after today, I think I have just enough confidence to maybe actually do this. I’ll keep you posted.

Conner Toth

Conner Toth '15 Geoscience Major Spanish Minor

1. I suggest only turning on the water to get wet, and then turning it off while you lather shampoo and such. It definitely cuts down on water use!! Its too bad that you have to keep using the cars, but at least you are carpooling (and not having teammates just drive their own cars to practice, which definitely has a bigger impact) and driving unnecessarily! Keep up the good work!

2. The car thing can be an issue all together but at least, it is for a justifiable cause. I think the big issue with living in a rural area is the need to drive to get to cities. It is like you said though. If it cannot be avoided, it cannot be avoided. It is something you cannot change. Funny how many things in life are like that.

3. Keep up that confidence and stay strong! Knowing that you are capable of success makes all the difference in terms of motivation. Next crew water practice just use the lake instead of a shower!