5

Day One: It’s just not so easy being a vegetarian!

When I set out on this no impact week project one of my own personal goals was to cut back on my consumption of meats. Sad to say that I began the day well with a breakfast consisting of eggs, potatoes, and a biscuit. Then lunch time rolled around and the hunger of a carnivore began to set in. As I walked into Huffman dining hall, the sight of  chicken sandwiches in the serving line overcame my desire to not eat meat and I scarfed down the sandwich. Feeling very guilty about my failure, I ate a bowl of brown rice with cheese, black beans and salsa, along with two bananas. Hopefully tonight my dinner will not be such a let down as I again will try to continue on my quest to be a no impact week vegetarian!

Moving forward I have been very good about my keeping my personal waste to a minimum, so far only tossing two gum rappers in the trash today. Also I have managed to compost five napkins and two banana peels by using the dining hall compost system. Ending on a positive note, I have cut back my showering time to five minutes with lukewarm water and I have yet to turn on the lights (saving energy) in my Crawford dorm room. Realizing that food is going to me my hardest challenge this week, I hope that I have the personal inner-strength to complete the challenge of transform myself into the no impact vegetarian that I set out to become.

Thomas Dacey

1. I admire the thought going into your project and your willingness to be out of your zone of comfort. There are some out there who would argue that being an omnivore can be and is environmentally friendly. I don’t know if I agree entirely with that, but I do think you can find meats that come from sustainable farming practices.

Good luck with the rest of the week.

2. We have a very similar goal, i think we should share ways to try and avoid meat at any possible cost. I have normally tried to just go directly to the salad bar or to the Wok in Curtis. This might be a way to lower the amount of meat we all consume. Good Luck!

3. I feel the pain of the meat too! I went to breakfast today and as I was touching the serving spoon for the sausage I realized that I was cutting meat out of my diet- which is a really sad fact. At least it’s not the fourth of July- this might be imposible if it was!

4. I feel your pain on being a vegetarian. It is not easy!

5. Congrats on the water cut down, thats very impressive and I am struggling with avoiding meat too! I am sure it will get easier