1

Getting Better!

So Day 1 of NI week was a lot more difficult than I’d anticipated. Not necessarily in terms of being ‘no impact,’ but difficult in justremembering, being constantly conscious of what I was doing. But Day 2 I definitely improved! There were multiple times today, for example, when I reached for the paper towel dispenser and was able to catch myself and stop before taking any. Although sometimes I forget to be conscious of how long the faucet is running for, or whether or not I take a napkin, I am definitely getting better at being consistently aware of my impact.

I am still going strong in terms of trying to eat sustainably, I’ve gone pretty much completely vegan. I had a banana however, and felt guilty knowing that it had probably been imported from Ecuador. Hopefully, abstaining from meat and all other animal products will reduce my carbon footprint enough to still make a difference, even if I am eating a piece of fruit that traveled all the way from the other side of the equator.

The most challenging habit to change is the length of my showers. I tend to relax and kind of zone out in the shower, meaning I usually am wasting water and spending unnecessary time under the shower head. So trying to stay under 4 minutes means I have to keep myself focused and not think of the shower as a place to chill out for a while, but something to finish as quickly as possible.  Today I was able to finish in about 5 minutes. I’m aiming for 4 tomorrow.

Eleanor Gates

pumped for NI week!! :)

1. I definitely can relate to the paper towel incident; however, unlike you, I grabbed it anyways and only remembered once I threw it away, which has happened quite a few times already. It is interesting to see how many things we do on a day to day basis are so habitual. It sounds like you are doing well though!