Expect the Unexpected (Waste)

Firstly, I would like to say that my computer has been acting strange lately so I have not been able to submit posts until now. So please consider this my post for Tuesday the 17th.

Secondly, I received an series of three packages today from my parents. They were shipped in fairly large boxes and, in all honesty, everything that was sent to me could have been done in one shipment through one cardboard box. I have been slowly attempting to cut down on the waste that I produce and this was a setback for me to say the least. What I am really trying to say is that while we are all trying to cut down on trips to Slayter and buying coffee in disposable cups, there are still some types of waste that we must accept are out of our control.

So far, cutting down on waste seems easy compared to shortening my precious shower time or unplugging all of my electronics before I go to sleep. It’s fairly straight forward: Don’t buy products that are individually wrapped, try going to the farmers market when you can, and (when you have the option) choose paper over plastic; or even better, try to avoid bags at all (unless of course they are reusable). This week has been an interesting experiment for me. I feel that I am slowly learning the simple things that I can do to make a difference. It doesn’t have to be anything huge or impressive; by simply buying less junk food and stealing more apples and pears from Curtis or Huffman one can have a positive impact during this week.

Jack Lesch