4

Its not easy eating green- Day 3!

Here we are, DAY THREE!! And to be honest, I still am not having a ton of difficulty with this No Impact week thing. Here’s why:

1) I go to the dining hall every day for basically every meal, and I can try to pick items that are vegetarian/more sustainable from the options

2) I’m rarely in my room during the day, so I use almost no electricity of my own (The only time I use electronics (phone charger and computer) is in the library where there is a power grid)

3) using less water is something I can get used to pretty easily

4) I don’t really need to buy anything this week, so as long as I stay away from gum and individually packaged mints

As easy as this has been for me this week it definitely would NOT be this easy if I were at home…Actually I’m pretty sure I’d have a very hard time with it and pretty much fail in many aspects. Maybe not in the water use, but at home where there is netflix and an entire house to use heating and other electrical appliances, and where I’d actually have to put forth the effort to go shopping for sustainable food, I’d have a lot more trouble. Here at school I don’t have a lot of time to waste resources on my own, but at home I know I definitely use a good amount.

Anyways, today went well, I kept forgetting my hand towel to dry my hands off, so I’ve just decided to run with it and stand around in the bathroom waving my arms around to dry off my hands. Do I look stupid? Absolutely. Is it for a good cause and therefore worth it? For sure.

I again was able to cut my shower down to 4 minutes and only used the computers in the labs as well as charged my phone in the library. However, there is still a step in my daily schedule that is confounding me as to how to cut down on water use: washing my face. You’d think this shouldn’t be that hard, but those who wash their faces on a daily basis should know that rinsing scrub or face wash off ones face without getting product or water into hair, while also not awkwardly leaving streaks of scrub on one’s face, is very difficult. I have yet to come up with a good solution that will keep me from leaving the water on while I try to rinse my face off.

A big part of no impact week that I’ve been thinking about a lot is eating sustainably, especially after our lab going over to granville market today. I was super excited to take on the task of coming up with a sustainable meal because I’m a huge foodie and I like challenging myself with limited ingredients. What I discovered about shopping for food for this task was that it was a lot harder than I thought. I learned that basically no fruit is in season right now, nor vegetables, so making a vegetarian main dish was somewhat tricky if you wanted more than pasta and bread to make up the bulk of it. It made me wonder if larger grocery stores have a greater selection of local food, or if it’s just not super accessable in grocery stores. Another huge problem we had was that there was really very little likelihood of finding foods, especially veggies and fruits, that weren’t packaged in plastic containers. I’d hoped that there would be more produce that people would normally put in plastic baggies with twist ties, and then we could just use cloth or mesh bags, but this did not seem like an option at the Granville market.

Day 4 starts tomorrow, and hopefully it’ll bring some interesting challenges!

Gena Grant

1. Gena, I’ve also been trying to eat sustainably, and have come across similar questions regarding what’s in season, local, etc. I think the issue of not having many fruits and veggies at the grocery store, and not many that aren’t individually packaged is something partial to the Granville Market. I know that at home and in LA I could always find tons of fresh fruits and veggies, and usually they weren’t individually wrapped. However, there is always the question of how far the food traveled to get to the grocery store, and at what distance does it become too far away to be considered sustainable? Anyways, seems like you are doing great, keep it up!

2. Gena! I’m glad you’re having fun with this, and I’m impressed that you’re finding ways to improve your daily routine even though you were already pretty low-impact. Another solution to offer you about washing your face is a washcloth. run one under the sink for a few seconds then gently wipe off the product. You have both sides to use, and it works really well if you wipe away with small circles.

3. Gena! I completely agree. I cannot see me keeping any of my goals if I were at home. That makes me think I wish there was a way to. I have two other siblings and It’s almost impossible to work with or around them. I felt pretty similar about this not being to difficult. My one suggestion about washing your face. I came across this issue last week. I realized I used a lot of water when washing my face. I just run the water in my hand for a second so i can get my face wet and then apply the soap, scrub and then rinse your hands for a couple seconds to rinse your face, maybe do that twice, but it doesn’t take up much water at all. Great job the rest of the day though!

4. Sounds like you are doing great! I’m glad to hear that you are finding things to eat and having fun with the project. It seems like there are new challenges everyday, but new solutions too!