2

Day 4: Best day so far!

Today was a great day! I did not have any food issues today. I ate enough at every meal so I did not feel sick nor receive any headaches despite the fact that I did not eat lunch like I normally do. I have a feeling that it would be difficult for me to maintain this after a couple of weeks though. I like some diversity in what I eat but eating salad for almost every meal can be quite difficult at times. On Thursdays, I’m at class from 10:30-11:20 then hora do papo from 11:30 to 12:00 followed by work at the Help Desk from 12:00-6:00. I was also able to keep my shower under 5 minutes with relatively cold water. I have quickly learned that it simply encourages you to get out of the shower faster. The only “failure” and I use the term lightly is the amount of energy I used during my work. I have to keep the computer on at all times. However, there is nothing I can do about that. It is part of my job so it is out of my control.  There is not much I can say today. Most of my day consisted of working at the Help Desk where nothing in particular occurred.

However, I do have a question for the day. Many jobs nowadays consume large amounts of electricity. How can we go about lowering the amount of electricity we use? Is it simply by creating more efficient items or just not using them? In our day and age, would that not be considered anti-progress? I certainly would want to create more efficient items such as computers. I have had my share of frustration with those this week. That’s all for the day!

Daniel Fiorentini

1. Many jobs today revolve around electricity whether it is using a computer all day or using equipment that relies on electricity for its power. WE may never see the day when electricity isnt used as much as it is now in the workforce.

2. What is progress? Computers are good if they truly enhance the work we do. Often, they are just machines for wasting time on social networks. Computers suck energy, and suck away personal interaction. I’m not saying I’m against computers. They’re great. I just think marketers tell us that these things are necessary, when simpler values may well suffice. If you are happy having a job on the computer, then I think that is more important than the amount of energy you use. Just like Colin’s traveling dilemma. Hopefully we will have clean energy soon anyway. Keep up the good work!