1

Food.

For me the most difficult goals has been food waste and composting properly, because I’ve never done this in the past and it’s hard to get in the habit of doing this.  I eat a lot of packaged foods being on Plan B and eating breakfast in my room.  I go through oatmeal packs, cereal boxes, milk cartons, and yogurt containers.  Luckily, I do recycle each, but sometimes I forget to rinse them out properly before disposing of them.  Sometimes I don’t even remember eating tons of packaged foods, but at the end of the day when I reflect I feel disappointed in myself about how much food waste I’ve thrown away.  I have been eating more in the dining halls, because I have some meals leftover on my meal plan, which is helping with the No Impact Week goals.  I am very excited to go home because my family buys only organic, which is better for you and the environment.  When at school it’s hard to keep track of this.  The week has been going well and I’ve also been composting more regularly in the dining halls, which I hope to continue in the future.

Sabrina Thibault

1. I also have packaged food in my room, which I prefer to eat instead of letting it just sit there, but it does create a lot of waste when it is added up. It really does bring about a sense of disappointment or guilt (in my case) and I’m thinking a lot more about my impact. It’s definitely much harder to change eating habits or routines and how you dispose of it than reducing water or energy use. Habits and routines are both hard to form and break. But small changes first lead to bigger and better changes.