4

Day 5: We did it!

I mentioned in class already that this is probably my favorite week of the year!  Not only do I get to challenge myself to live a lifestyle I believe in, but I get to learn about my students through their blogs and see their growth.  I love reading these blogs.  I find that I can relate to almost each adventure/mishap/accomplishment.  And I really love the sense of community that comes with this project.  You are all supporting each other and encouraging each other…and I just think it’s a very cool thing.

I also sense optimism in your posts and an air of possibility.  This is refreshing, as a recent study claims that the millenial generation is less concerned about the environment than past generations.  I hope that you carry the lessons from this week with you as you continue to examine your behaviors, lifestyles, and values and decide upon a path that you find meaningful.  And, I hope that this week’s experience showed you that you are capable of creating change and making a difference.

Remember Colin’s words, “…whether it’s human nature or industrial systems that need to change, when it comes to saving the world, the real question is not whether I can make a difference.  The real question is whether I am willing to try” (Beavan, p.68).  Thank you for trying!

namaste

Beavan, C.  (2009).  No Impact Man: The adventures of a guilty liberal who attempts to save the planet and the discoveries he makes about himself and our way of life in the process. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

aguilaro

1. This millennial generation is not very concerned with the environment? Well that needs to change. I thoroughly enjoyed this week and seeing everyone’s development. I know many got the opportunity to give back today and I wish more came to the Relay For Life. Please continue this project. It is a great idea!

2. I really liked this blog activity. I think for other classes in the future you should have the students blog all the time. I liked writing my blogs and I would always check to see who commented on my post and what they said! I also really enjoyed No impact week too!!!

3. I agree as well. This week was very interesting but pretty cool. I really liked the blog idea especially when people offered advice. A couple of my friends definitely caught on as well especially at meals and composting.

4. I agree with you. I too really enjoyed the sense of community that came together while doing this project over the week. Like I said in class, it made me so so happy to see my roommate picking up on my examples, not only this week, but throughout the whole year as well. It makes me feel good to know that I can make an impression on someone else.