final assessment

This past week has been an eye-opening experience for me in terms of my overall impact on the earth. As I look back on my life and think of all the water, energy, food and recyclable goods I’ve wasted over the years, it’s truly disheartening. As I thought more about why I’ve come to this revelation now, instead of earlier, it suddenly became clear, there was simply no motivation. As awful as that sounds please allow me to explain myself. Before taking environmental classes I had no knowledge of how much my actions affected the world around me. Not only that but, looking at a monetary point of view, I didn’t realize how much money I could save by becoming environmentally friendly. But going back to the actual project, I felt satisfied with my performance over the last week in terms of being “impact free.” Although I had some slip ups such as buying packaging that can’t be recycled, overall I felt like I was able to restrain myself from making to many of those mistakes. Some of the goals I had were obviously easier then others for instance transportation and water consumption were quite frankly, a breeze. However, some of the energy saving goals I had finally caught up to me when I simply forgot to turn off electronics. In regard to the future of my green ways, I do believe it is important to conserve as much as possible and I do plan on doing my best to do so.

Kyle McNulty