1

Nelson-Day 1: Water Consumption

Today is the first week of no-impact week, where we’re focusing on reducing our water consumption.  I think that for me reducing my water usage will be the least difficult.  I’ve always been conscious of conserving water.  At home I took short showers and I never leave the faucet  on when I brush my teeth.  When I came here I noticed that I’ve been taking longer showers, on average around 10 minutes.  I never really took long showers at home because I would always just get out right after I got all my shampooing, conditioning and soaping done.  I felt like it was a waste of time to just stand in the shower once I’d gotten all my business done.  Here on campus I don’t know what it is.  Most likely the increased stress from all this work.  This morning I took a 6 minute shower!  I’m going to try to keep this up for (at least) the rest of the week.  Reading Max Sussman’s post, I feel the same way in that the biggest thing I can do regarding water consumption is to use cold water to reduce the amount of energy used to heat water.

The hardest part of the week for me will definitely be food, because I love good food (who doesn’t) and Curtis obviously doesn’t have the best options to begin with, so being aware of where the food comes from will make it all the more difficult to pick out the better  options.

dow_n2

1. That’s awesome that you water consumption is low. You’re already off to a great start! I agree with you and Max about the water temp. thing because that will be most difficult for me. Just like you, I never leave the faucet on when I brush my teeth because I usually brush my teeth in the shower. Great work Nelson! Keep it up!