4

Water World

Waking up this morning, I was excited to begin No Impact Week. I’ve decided to start a few things early instead of waiting for their specified days, such as Energy and Food. With Water, my normal 15-20 minute shower was cut down to 7-10 minutes. I realized that I do a lot of things in the shower that extends my time, but by cutting out a few things (do I really need to use conditioner today?) and by speeding the process up a little, I was able to shorten my amount of time in the shower. Brushing my teeth and washing my face/hands were all done in the shortest amount of time possible. I had a glass of water for lunch and dinner today, and I made sure to drink it all instead of wasting a small amount, like I usually do ( it’s bad, I know!).

The most difficult thing for me was taking a conscious effort to reduce my water impact. There was one time I forgot I was supposed to be conserving water, and so I took my time washing my hands. Out of habit, I used more water than necessary, and so this will take a little practice to be thinking about conservation practices all the time. Eventually, I hope this becomes my new habit.

kirkpa_k1

1. I am the same way when it comes to leaving water in my glass at the dining hall. I always go through a “Tragedy of the Commons” situation in my head because at first I think “I’m really not wasting that much water” but it everyone thought that and wasted even the little bit that I leave in my cup, it would quickly add up to a lot of wasted water. And even though I go through this song and dance almost everyday, I still haven’t learned that I simply don’t need to fill my cup all the way, I just need to be more conscious of the water I am consuming.

2. I agree with you on how you just forget that you are supposed to reduce your water consumption and you keep the water on. Sometimes I enjoy taking my time in the shower with the hot water on but I now I will feel guilty when I do therefore, I can hopefully stop this habit. Also how Sydney mentioned, this whole week will help me pay attention to my careless actions and help me make less of an impact on the environment on a daily basis.

3. I also have a bad habit of not drinking all the water in my glass or water bottle. I will even dump out the warm water that is left in my water bottle just because it is warm. This week I am going to make an effort to stop doing that. I also agree with what you said about forgeting to conserve water. I made one of my goals for the week to bring my water bottle to every meal, but tonight at dinner I forgot. However, at least we are all realizing that we need to change these things.

4. I talked about this in my post as well, but I have to keep reminding myself I’m supposed to be conserving water too. There are so many times I simply revert back to habit and afterwards I’d realize I wasted more water than necessary. We use water so often yet I bet a lot of people don’t even think twice about. I’m glad this week is already making me evaluate my actions and I hope conserving water starts to become a new habit for me as well.