1

Food

Looking at the other blogs, it seems that I am not the only one who thought food was a challenge. I don’t eat a lot of meat so I thought it would be a easy goal to just get rid of meat altogether. However, at lunch I got chicken on my salad without even thinking about it. Luckily my friend ate it for me so it didn’t go to waste but this slip up showed me that I definitely need to be more mindful of what I’m eating. I’m also not proud to admit it, but my goal to not eat food from individual packagesĀ  completely failed today. I woke up late and grabbed a granola bar on the way to class and had to grab meal ex for dinner, producing a lot of waste. This experience taught me that I need to plan ahead and be as prepared as I can for unexpected bumps like this. My other goals have been going well so far. Water consumption is still the easiest to keep up with and I even got my roommates on board when it comes to turning off the water when they brush their teeth or wash their dishes. Transportation has also not been a problem. I don’t have a car on campus and whenever I need one it’s usually when my friends and I run errands together in one car. For example, six of my friends and I crammed ourselves into one car to go to River Road to do work.

I’m a little concerned about product use because it is such a broad topic. I also have a feeling I use a lot of products that really aren’t necessary and this will be a jarring wake up call for me. After watching “No Impact Man” I really wanted to try to rid my life of unnecessary stuff and I’m hoping this part of the week will illuminate all things extraneous in my life.

morgan_b2

1. It sounds like you are doing a great job, despite the chicken salad scare! I too have been struggling with food choices–just trying to eat local fruits and vegetables in the winter is basically impossible! I like your idea of removing the nonessentials from your life, especially for product use. I feel like there are so many things I use without a second thought and this week is really making me reconsider all of that. Keep up the good work!