2

FOOD.

Yeah…I knew this theme was going to be a difficult one for me. As much as I tried to not eat any individually wrapped food items this whole week, I was still unsuccessful. BUT I would like to point out that my consumption of those items has decreased significantly. So that has to be worth something, right? Maybe? I know that if I had an actual lunch break then I wouldn’t have those pesky wrapped granola bars. But since I go from work to class, or I have classes all day, then I just grab something for on the go.

I know what I have to do. Next semester, I’m planning on being more prepared in this area. My schedule allows for lunch! Yes. Not that I’m getting excited about dining hall food, but at least I’ll be able to choose from some options that are (supposedly) local and not packaged. I’m also getting rid of those snacks. No more Costco runs for granola bars and fruit snacks. Instead, I’ll do some research on what items would be better than those. Anyone have any ideas? I am looking for affordable!

As for the other themes, Water has stayed the same. I’ve continued to use the least amount I could. shorter showers, turning off the water when I’m not using it, the whole shebang. Energy has been relatively easy! It doesn’t seem like a lifestyle change to just click off the power strip or use one lamp while doing homework. And as for less TV, well that’s just helping me to concentrate on finals 😛 Waste, in correlation with those wrappers with food, has also been a little more difficult than I expected. I never realized how much I actually threw out! But I’ve been trying to be more conscientious about what I throw out, and whether or not it can be reused or recycled. Transportation = no problem this week. I have no car. That’s that! I think products tomorrow might be an eye-opener for me as well, so we’ll see! Happy blogging 🙂

kirkpa_k1

1. I had the same struggles you had when it came to packaged food. This week has made me realize how much food I buy on the go from Slaytor, One of my goals I tried for the week was to avoid buying any packaged food at all, but this has already failed because I normally don’t have time to go to one of the dining halls to grab a quick meal.

2. I’m in the same boat when it comes to individually packaged foods! I need to be more prepared while also sticking to a VERY strict (almost nonexistent) budget. It’s difficult to find that balance but it’s something I’m willing to do if it means making rewarding life choices. I also think that eliminating packaged foods (or some of them, let’s be real) will have health benefits because packaged food tends to have more sugar and preservatives.