2

Food

So far this week has been pretty easy. I didn’t realize until I started to really look at my day to day impact that I live a relatively low impact life. Today, food was probably the easiest part this week. I have been a vegetarian for about a year, so today I just had to eat the way that I usually do and really just watch the granola bars that I usually eat every day. This wasn’t too bad seeing as how I’m already trying to cut down on my waste and one of the main ways I’m attempting to do this was by cutting down on eating granola bars. For the most part that’s my biggest waste.

I feel that the goals of each day get easier as I go along. I have still been trying to cut down on the lengths of my showers which hasn’t been that hard, it just requires a conscious effort. The accumulation of goals day to day has been working for me pretty well. I have been able to spend the first day really looking at my use of that days theme and then as the week goes on use the information I gained from the first day to help maintain my no impact behavior.

I will admit that yesterday on Transportation day I did drive with my roommate to Wal-Mart. He needed to go get some food and I was in dire need of some more coffee so I went with him. Other than that, I have had no real slip ups this week. I have been able to lead a no impact lifestyle pretty easily. I think I’ll be able to take a lot of the things that I have been doing this week and continue them after. I think it could be pretty easy and help a lot.

dekel_j1

1. Sounds like you’re finding it relatively easy to incorporate methods of reducing impact into your daily routine. This is key because the first step in change is to break bad habits, and if you can incorporate good actions into your routine, they’ll become habits much quicker. Perhaps to help solve your granola problem you could fill up a ziploc bag at the cereal stations to munch on at breakfast or later in the day. Reuse the bag daily and you eliminate any plastic.

2. Similar to the no impact man video, maybe one of your food cutbacks could be coffee. You seem to be doing a great job with no impact week, but I think it’s important to know that there is always room for improvement. Since your goals are not challenging you, maybe try creating new ones that will more significantly change your lifestyle.