End of No Impact Week

No impact week was a big wake up call for me.  I realized from class and through personal experience that awareness and action are completely different concepts when it comes to sustainability.  Despite the separation, I feel that my newly gained awareness of the issue will help me to take more efficient actions.  The week consisted of a lot of trial and error in terms of my personal goals from reducing my impact.  It will take a lot more than a week to decide what does and does not work in my life, but this experience was definitely a good start that gave me ideas for actions to take.  I feel that in order to make sure that I stick to my goals and create solid habits, I need to start a slower pace and gradually incorporate new goals and transition them into my lifestyle.

I was surprised at how easily it is to forget a simple task.  Although many of my goals for the week were seemingly simple, since they aren’t actions that I’m used to taking it will require a lot more effort on my part to form more sustainable habits.  The most challenging goal is reducing my water usage.  I still take very long showers and am yet to turn the water off throughout my showers.  Once during the week, I ran out of hot water early on in my shower, which made me really hurry to get out.  This experience showed me that I am capable of reducing my shower times, which in turn would significantly reduce my water usage.  The easiest goal was transportation.  I am a very active person, so it was not difficult to decrease my car usage.  When I did find it necessary to drive somewhere due to distance or temperature outside, I made sure that the trip involved people who also needed transported.  Once I return home for winter break it will be much easier to practice my goals.  I will be able to work on all of the phases from this week and try to start forming habits while at home so it is not as difficult to maintain once I come back to campus.  I think it would be more beneficial to spread the goals out more than one day at a time.  It became reduction overload, which made my methods less effective.  If this was a more gradual process, it would have been helpful when figuring out goals and maintaining them.

kaplan_s1