2

It’s dark now

So Day 1 of No Impact Week and I think that I am doing a pretty good job.

My goals are to:

1. Not by any new items

2. Create Less Waste- No post-it notes, no cotton balls, only drink out of my water bottle

3. Do not drive anywhere

4. No meat, compost foods, eat local

5. Use less fans, unplug unnecessary items, use already lit spaces

6. Shower less than 5 mins, cold water only

7. Give back somehow!

Upon waking up this morning, I unplugged all my devices. No more TV, DVD player, alarm clock, desk lamp, bed lamp, fan, phone charger, computer charger, or noise machine. After unplugging everything, I was shocked. I did not realize that I had so many things that were constantly using energy. I can’t even remember the last time I used my DVD player or alarm clock. There was not really a reason for them to be plugged in.

Because my roommate was still asleep, I couldn’t open the blinds to let light it. I didn’t want to use my little desk light, so I went to the bathroom to get ready. I thought this was the best option considering that that light is always on anyways. When I washed my face, I refrained from using a cotton ball like I usually do. Instead, I used a rag. It did the job.

When leaving for class, I did not eat my yummy poptart. I was sad, but it was fine. I ate an apple instead so that there was no waste created. However, there was no compost nearby to throw away the core, so I chucked it in the bushes (I think this was okay…).

I dropped the ball a little though… I accepted a ride up the hill after lacrosse practice. But I car pooled so it was not that bad!

I ate a Curtis for lunch and had fruit, granola, yogurt, a peanut butter sandwich, and water. But I had no meat, like usual. I am not sure whether it would have been more environmentally friendly to eat the local beef over the fruits that where transported thousands of miles (my banana was from Mexico!).

I did eat dinner in Slayter, so I did create some waste. I recycled what I could though!

I haven’t showered today, so hopefully I can keep my time to under 5 minutes. Wish me luck kids.

Allyson Clark

1. Your day seemed pretty successful. Good job at breaking habits and doing little things that can obviously help in a big way. One of the worst things about being in the US is that fruits have to be transported from so far away! I was craving fruit today!

2. I am glad to hear you were able to eat in Slayter and create minimal waste. I only ate in Curtis today but I usually eat dinner in Slayter and do not know if I’ll be able to last the entire week in Curtis. I know that there are some things in Slayter that can be recycled like the salad containers so hopefully I can eat there at some point and create as little waste as possible.