day two: not so easy

so today i broke a lot of my rule.

because my roommate was still sleeping when i got up and i couldn’t open the window because the bright sunlight would definitely wake her up, i had to turn on one of the lights in my room for half an hour. i also had to charge my phone last night and ran out the door without unplugging my charger. 9 am and i already broke 2 of my rules, but wait there’s more.

i had classes and meetings from 10 to 420 today so i didn’t have time to eat in curtis so i ate a protein bar and a salad in a plastic container with a plastic fork. thankfully the container was recyclable so i didn’t feel as bad but i still had to throw away a wrapper, napkins and a plastic fork. going into this week i thought it was going to be very easy to eat every meal at curtis because thats usually what i always do, but not today.

i am also pretty disappointed in the amount of napkins and paper towels i use without even thinking. it’s such a hard habit to break but it needs to stop!

lab was really fun today and i was actually surprised with the variety of meals groups came up with including mostly local foods. packaging however is still a major problem and like i said in class what’s worse a grapefruit from florida without packaging or corn from ohio in a styrofoam tray wrapped in plastic?

on a more positive note i haven’t driven anywhere today, eaten meat or showered… yet haha so no energy consumption there.

i am finding how easy it is to just mindlessly consume but at the same time i also feel the disappointment and anger that Colin feels at the end of his no impact year when i fail to meet my goals. no impact week is turning out to be harder than i expected.

Francesca Gentile