5

Day 1: STRUGGLE

On my six hour LONELY drive back to Denison yesterday, it really hit me that No Impact week was starting the next day, and that MY WHOLE WORLD WOULD BE FLIPPED UPSIDE DOWN. Ok, over dramatic. But I knew I was going to struggle. At first I thought to myself, “Hey, I can do this! Don’t eat meat, don’t throw stuff away, psh no problem!” but oh, oh no. I feel guilty WASHING MY HANDS. Like, ok, sorry I need to be clean. And SORRY that I like to have clean ears but I’m not going to NOT use Q-tips when I FEEL the wax building up. Sorry, guys, now none of you will ever want to talk to me again. Whatever it’s a blog, that’s what its here for.

So this morning I woke up and immediately realized that I can’t just unplug and plug in the alarm clock every time I’m not using it. When is anyone ever really using a clock? Only when the look at it, so like, I’m not gonna go plug it in when I need to know the time cause THAT DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF A CLOCK. So I ignored it and thought “Nothing I can do about it, whatevs.” I went to wash my face and was like “UGH! Water! What is wrong with me?!” but, um, I’m not walking around with visible greasy-face all day so I washed my face really super fast. I had to print out a paper for a class this morning, that I’m going to hand in to my professor, he’s going to grade it, it will find a place in the bottom of my desk, and I won’t see it again until I recycle it at the end of the semester—a vicious cycle.

The eating part of this project is pretty difficult because I don’t know where everything comes from or how it’s been grown. So I’m pretty much just taking only what I’ll eat, and not throwing anything out. Also, during the consumption diary portion of the project, I noticed that I don’t eat meat a lot, so I’m just staying away from meat altogether this week. Another one of the problems I’m having is the lighting situation. Sorry that it gets dark at 5pm and I have stuff to do! i have my blinds open so that I can use natural lighting until about 5, but after that I’m like…ahh…desk lamp here we go. Also, hi I need to use my computer. I wish I didn’t need to so much, but I do. And it’s so old now that it loses battery so quickly.

Also, what do I do when my friend invites me over to watch a movie?! It’s ‘Horton Hears a Who’ so I can’t pass that up! I don’t want to give in so easily, but she’d be watching it anyway, so why not share the love?! CONFLICTED.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better!!! Good luck, everyone!!!

Margaret

1. Thanks for reminding me that I haven’t cleaned my ears today. Oh and yeah the food is so difficult like I’m about to go ask the Huffman workers to give me a full explanation of where they got everything because it’s driving me nuts. And yeah, I saw you washing your face this morning. You were VERY quick, nice work buddy.

FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN’T KNOW ME AND MARGARET ARE NEIGHBORS!

So on to my next little comment. I don’t know if it was you or not, but also noticed someone has been turning the lights off in the bathroom, as well as myself. SO YAY!!

Okay that’s all.
    BYEEEEEEE

2. I walked around Slayter for 5 minutes trying to find a hand sanitizer thing that worked. No such luck. I just ended up washing my hands. At least we’ll get to know who our real friends are when we start stinking cause we’re too guilty to use water. That’s what perfume is for, right? Or febreeze. Whatever.

3. I know how you feel about the Q-tips! It’s just part of my shower routine. I didn’t even notice that I had done it until I threw it away.

4. I definitely know how you feel about the loss of natural light at 5. I feel so creepy typing this in a completely dark room. Light isn’t really something that you think about until No Impact Week, when you catch yourself turning on the lights every time you come into your room. As for the movie, Horton Hears a Who is certainly worth it. I don’t blame you!

5. I felt guilty washing my hands too! Although I got a few weird looks, I’ve mastered the soap first, then quick rinse, then run back to my room to dry my hands on my towel before my fingers turn into ice cubes. I definitely didn’t realize that I would have to change the way I wash my hands for this project…it’s crazy, but eye-opening to all the little things we can do to make a difference.