2

It’s definitely getting better. Today I decided to take a shorter shower – within two repeats of Wonderwall. I thought the plan worked better today as the weather was warmer and there was less need for hot water.

For the rest of the day, I focused on creating less trash and eating less meat. I usually eat lunch at Slayter on Tuesdays because I only have an hour break between my work and class. In order to avoid plastic bowls in Slayter, I walked all the way back to Huffman and had vegetarian stir fry for lunch. (yay, no more accident!)  After lunch, I brought two apples back to my room in case I am hungry at night and cannot help but eat goldfish and energy bars. I realized I was not sure where the apples came from РI will pay more attention tomorrow. If fruit is not local, I am debating whether eating energy bar consumes less resources. However, since I ate less snacks between lunch and dinner, I wanted meat today more than usual. But I do not necessarily need to consume meat, because I can get proteins from foods such as tofu and soy milk. In the end I had a slice of pepperoni pizza and a plate of vegetarian stir fry for dinner. I did some math: less packing trash+ a little meat consumption= balanced resource consumption.

Having read posts from my peers, I was particularly inspired by a post which mentioned the amount of energy waste occurring when using the handy cap button at the doors of academic buildings. I decided to take this on myself. When I went to the library to work, instead of using the handy cap button, which I almost did, I opened the door manually.

Chen Yang

1. Interesting point about the handicapped buttons. I have always made it a habit to use the ones to get in and out of the library, totally forgetting that they use energy.

It’s good that you are looking for alternatives to meat. Even some veggies, such as spinach, also have protein in them. It’s hard to give up meat at first, but it also helps you try new things! Good luck!

2. I’m glad to hear that someone else rocks out to Wonderwall in the shower! I never thought about bringing fruit from the dining halls in case I needed a snack. Thank you for that Idea. How do you plan on finding out where the apples come from? That is a great point though.

It sounds like you’re taking on the toughest part of NI week, and I give you a lot of credit for doing so. Good luck with that meat craving!