4

Day Two!

Day two guys. Hope you’re all surviving…

As I crawled into bed last night (…this morning) I began prepping myself for day 2 of No Impact Week. With both roommates asleep and the room pitch black, I deemed this my “ho-hum” time, and I sat and reflected on the first day of living with no impact. Until I recognized the beaming light from under the door. Living in Smith, the hallway light is on constantly. Why? What is the point of having the lights on 24 hours a day? It seemed like a waste of energy to me, but I couldn’t think of many alternatives. Having motion sensor lights probably wouldn’t be energy efficient at certain times of the day either, and is probably expensive to install. Still, there has got to be a better solution out there. That predicament left me flustered and annoyed, thoroughly ruining my “ho-hum” sesh.

Getting ready this morning before class I had only one question. Or maybe a lot of questions that I condensed into my main concern at that ungodly early morning hour. What even is mascara made out of? I’m not entirely sure I want to know.

(…does anyone know what dipolyhydroxystearate is? Or acryloydimethyl tauate copolymer? Because that goes on my face every day. Sounds really natural…)

After getting out of class early and enjoying the beautiful day, I went to slayter to pick up my packages. I admit, Thanksgiving break may have been me dedicating an entire week to online shopping… I was so excited, absolutely beaming, until I got back to my room and looked at the plastic sealed packaging in my hands. Oh the guilt… I realized that I am the exact definition of hedonic treadmill. Begrudgingly, I tore open my packages (setting all the plastic aside to recycle, of course) and half-happily, half-guiltily I tried on all my new clothes. Someone please tell me where to find therapy for my online shopping addiction. (Retail therapy? Ha…just kidding…kind of…)

Lunch was a struggle and a half, I doubt there was anything local involved in my pb&j.

Feeling pretty defeated for day two.

I’m hoping for the best on day three.

Alessandra

1. Glad to see that I am not the only one that notices and is annoyed by the hallway lights. Hopefully something can be done about that. Fortunately I’m not into shopping, but I checked my mailbox and did have a lot of stuff waiting for me, so I’m definitely going to try and wait till the end of this week to pick that stuff up.

2. Seeing as I don’t wear make up I can not really relate, but today I received an email notification that I had a package and I am debating on whether or not to go get it, and if they will hold it for a week. I too used to be an online shop-a-holic, my “cure” was thrifting, and finding value in some older clothes. I know there are not many (if any at all) thrift stores close by but I heard there was one close to town. That way you can still get your shopping “high” while not creating as big a carbon footprint.

3. I too am very frustrated with the hall lights constantly being on. I try to turn the bathroom lights off whenever I notice they are on though. I can relate with the online shopping, I think it’s so addicting because I can’t actually see my money leaving my hand…it just is magically gone and I get some pretty new clothes! At least you did your best and recycled the material.

4. I had the exact same thought for my mascara this morning! I picked it up, and then put it back. And picked it up and put it back again.. I decided against it. But really, all of the ingredients in products we use for our makeup, moisturizer, shampoo, conditioner.. It has to seriously contribute to hurting the environment.