The thing about Paco

I used to be a non-pet person for a lot of reasons that I won’t get into here.  Anyway, this all changed in April when we adopted Paco from the Humane Society (Licking County has a great one).  We had been talking about adopting a dog for a few months-actually almost a year- when we finally found Paco.  Once we brought him home, our lives turned upside down (again, for many reasons that I won’t go into here).

Paco is the kind of dog that has to run around for hours in order to remain calm for even one hour at home.  However, we both work and we don’t have a fenced in yard, so Paco goes to Doggie Daycare.  My dad says he is glad my grandparents are not alive today to see this as it might kill them.  At any rate, we have to drive our dog to daycare at least 3 days a week so he can remain normal in the house for the other 4 days.  No Impact meant no driving though, so we are in a bit of a predicament.  Luckily my partner can drive him since he is not doing No Impact, but does that even make sense?

If I were to be really strict about this, I have no idea what I would feed Paco (he is obviously eating processed dog food and I can’t imagine how he would survive on bread, eggs and cheese).  Nor do I know what I would do about his doggie daycare. He went on 2, hour-long walks yesterday and was still a bit berserk.  I finally tried to take him for a jog last night and he quit halfway into it (nice).  On the plus side, I lost about a pound yesterday due to all the exercise.

So, I’m struggling with how to make something sustainable, that on the whole just doesn’t seem to be feasible.  Granted, my grandparents could have probably done it.  They would have left him outside and just given him their food scraps….and I’m sure he would’ve been perfectly happy.  But I feel like this would not fly in Granville.  I think Colin tries to address this and acknowledges that his lifestyle allowed him to do this….but what about those of us with different lifestyles?  How do we make this work? What has to change?

Oh, and just so you know I took this picture about a month ago when I was still using lights!

aguilaro