4

Day 4: Four down, three to go!

Hey everybody!

Today was the first day this week that I got ready for class with the lights on, due to my roommate getting ready for class as well. After a few consecutive days of quiet, dark mornings to start off my day, the light felt unnatural and a little weird. I had gotten used to waking up slowly, as well as letting my roommates sleep in peace with the lights off.

I also decided to not charge my phone overnight, it just wastes hours of energy when my phone is fully charged and I’m still asleep. So for the past few days I plug it in when necessary, and if (when) I forget, I find a little phone-less ho-hum time for myself on the walk back from classes or the library. (Same deal with my computer, I let it get to 4% before plugging it in last night. 4%!)

Here was my daily dilemma: If the toaster/grill thing in Curtis is on to toast sandwiches anyway…it doesn’t matter if I use it, right…? I rewarded myself with a grilled cheese (cheese and bread, yay) for not eating any meat so far this week and being good about cutting down on snacking. Snacks are my weakness.

Also, last night my roommate, out of boredom, asked me if she should read or watch a show on Netflix, and I asked her which she thought would use more energy, having her computer plugged in or from the lamp to read? I got an environment nerd jab for that one. Worth it. Spreading the no impact word!

Hope y’all had a great day!

Alessandra

1. Great job with conserving electricity, and trying to influence your roommate too!
    Good lukc with the rest of your week.

2. Today I used that little grill in curtis to make my grilled cheese as well, which I think students are allowed to use. It does use electricity though, and they leave it plugged in all day (I think). Nice jobs on charging your phone less, I often find myself contemplating whether or not I really need to be charging it.

3. It sounds like you’re doing a much better job than I am! It’s very impressive that you have managed to not charge your phone at night. I thought about that and how much energy it must waste, but have been unable to push myself not to charge it because I never have time to charge it throughout the day. And I need my phone– I’m one of those people. I can’t live without it! So I admire you being able to do that and give yourself more ho-hum time. Keep up the good work!

4. I can feel your dilemma with the griddle at Curtis. I figured I am having trouble finding stuff I like so using a little bit of electricity and making little to no waste is a lot better tradeoff for the environment. And way to spread the word I am trying my best too!