3

Prepare for Impact

Initially, I thought that decreasing my environmental impact would be fairly easy…I was wrong. I felt the hard impact that no impact week can have on a person. I will be honest, I am not a pleasant morning person. My daily routine involves a shower and a hot coffee or tea to lighten the stress. I have completely cut out the morning beverage in order to reduce the amount of waste I produce and energy that I consume. I am sure that soon I will permanently stuck in morning zombie mode. Along with this, I have reduced my shower time to 2 minutes and 30 seconds. The feeling of a hot shower ending is one of the saddest things in the world. There is nothing between me and 4 straight hours of class after its end. I’m glad that I can reduce my impact, but it is definitely a hard adjustment.

The second part of my daily routine that has changed is my diet. I have greatly reduced the amount of meat I have been consuming, for better or for worse. I usually eat a lot of pizza and there is something about the lack of pepperoni’s that doesn’t sit right with me. My favorite options are big salads full of vegetables or stir fry. There aren’t a million options when trying to avoid eating meat, but I’ve enjoyed the challenge so far. Again I will be honest, I do miss it.

Here is a picture of morning Clay without coffee.

Clay White

1. Wow. It sounds like you’re doing a really good job of making sacrifices and trying to figure out how you can effectively participate in this project! I feel your pain for the shower– I, too, have shortened my showers and it is always so sad when my alarm goes off and tells me I must get out! It’s incredibly frustrating!

2. You don’t have to give up your morning coffee or tea. Just get a reusable mug. You end up producing less trash, you get to have your pick-me-up, and it costs less at Slayter when you bring your own.

3. I can relate to the coffee and the limited options of food. A diet of bread, cheese and eggs gets really old after 4 days. I feel really bread-y and I’m sure my body needs some greens!