2

Day 5: On a good note

As I sit here letting myself indulge in packaged food, I can’t help feeling a heavy twinge of guilt. More of a flinch, really. I sense that some of my goals might start sticking, which feels pretty great. I’m not sure how long the vegetarian thing is gonna last.. I decimated a Dragon Village General Tso’s combo dish tonight and it felt too good to deny. Maybe I’ll just stick with cutting back on meal size. Definitely more doable.

Our discussion in class today got me thinking quite a bit, especially about the state of our civilization and its fixation on living lives that are created by other people, especially regarding our spending habits. We’ve let other people determine when things will need to be replaced because they’ve also told us that we need to care about what other people think of. What’s come from this, other than a pervasive sense of paranoia about our worth in society based on our comparison to others? When our self-worth is based on how much stuff we have, where does the environment come in?

I’m not sure where that all came from, but I really think it’s great that we’ve all been able to get so much out of this project and that we can let our experiences question some of the things we may not have even considered about our lives.

NI Week: Success.

As my final remark, I’d like to remind everyone that Jimmy Buffett has a new album out, Songs From St. Somewhere. It has some really solid tracks like “Somethin’ ‘Bout a Boat”, and “Einstein Was a Surfer” “Too Drunk To Karaoke (Feat. Jimmy Buffett)”.

Teddy

I wish I was a little bit taller.

1. I ate my first bag of Lay’s chips and it was too good to be true. However, when I have to throw the plastic bag away, I felt guilty and awful. This makes me reflect on other things that makes me happy but in a relatively short time (new clothes, new facial cream..) I am glad that we learned something beyond taking a shorter shower from this project.

2. It really is amazing how much of an impact we all make each and every day, sometimes without even knowing it! I can definitely say that this has been a difficult week for me. I am also hoping that I can take this experience and continue to apply some of what I’ve learned to the rest of my life.