2

Day Five: Finalmente!

As I’m typing this, I’m having the most glorious can of Dr. Pepper I’ve ever had in my life. With the light on in my room. And I had a shower just now that lasted longer than 3 minutes. It wasn’t just this enormous relief of coming back to some sort of normality that surprised me. I’m actually enjoying my Dr. Pepper ten times more than I usually would. I think once we get used to always having the lights on or taking showers as long as we want to, we stop realizing how amazing these things are when we don’t always do them. It’s just like that first spoonful of Jeni’s ice cream. I only buy a pint of it every few months, because even one pint is $10 (no regrets, you know what I mean if you’ve ever tasted it), but that first spoonful is magic. I never just stop after that one bite, but maybe I should. And maybe I shouldn’t have Dr. Pepper every day, if I get so much enjoyment out of it when I haven’t had it for a while.

I ate pizza with local cheese today, and followed through with all of my rules until 5:30 today. One really great part of this project has been my ho-hum time in the morning, waking up slowly with a cup of coffee. That is one thing I genuinely believe I will keep doing. Also, I didn’t find the electricity and unplugging what I’m not using very difficult. I didn’t forget, and it was never difficult for me to just plug things in when I needed them and then unplug again. I’ll probably keep doing that as well. I also want to get a real compost bin for my room. I’ve realized it doesn’t smell, which was my original concern, and I am always throwing away my coffee grounds and banana peels.

Overall, this project has been very helpful for me to think more about my impact on the environment. I’m really glad we did it and I’ve realized, like Colin, that I also want to be the kind of person that tries to make a difference.

Audrey

1. I know how you feel. Not being to have granola bars whenever I please sure made me appreciate the energy that goes into making one and the taste of them more. And that’s great you’re going to try to be that kind of person. Very commendable. Congratulations for getting through the week!

2. This project definitely showed us that we are privileged to have such great luxuries. We should never take any of that for granted, because there are a lot of people who can’t live like us. That’s always something we should keep in our minds.