4

A Day of Ho-Hum

Today was amazing. I woke up this morning to the sun shining in my room, all of my electronics unplugged, and excited to start No Impact week. As one of my goals was to consume meat only at dinner, I was pleasantly surprised with myself when I chose the local black bean burger for Meal X. However, I felt unbelievably guilty when I remembered I’d be getting a take-out box. I’m finding it hard to stay true to my goals when my friends aren’t following them with me (they insist on eating in Slayter nearly every night). My roommate’s been a trooper, though, letting me unplug her appliances and remind her that she doesn’t, in fact, need an entire stack of napkins.

In any case, the biggest achievement of my day was spending some good ol’ “Ho-Hum” time. I spent nearly four hours outside today, sitting on the quad and simply relaxing. I put my phone away and soaked up some sun, observing everything around me and getting some much-needed R&R. It definitely helps that the weather has been BEAUTIFUL, because I find it difficult to be indoors without my computer, TV on, phone-in-hand, etc. While we’re on the subject, I heard it’s supposed to rain tomorrow, so that sucks…

Lastly, I thought I’d share one of my favorite quotes from No Impact Man–“We can all change the people around us by changing ourselves.”

Lucy Itzkoff

1. When my friends initially suggested the idea of going to Meal Ex I felt nervous about the waste I was going to produce by going there. Although I was reluctantly able to convince them to go to Huffman, I also realized how trying to go no impact can be difficult without support from others. As far as the quote from No Impact Man–LOVE IT! Its meaning is definitely more relevant as we all attempt to achieve our own personal set of goals during no impact week.

2. In terms of appreciating the weather, we are one in the same. And you do have a point when it comes to friends and No Impact Week. To me it feels hard to be with people who do not have the same the same mindset to be No Impact as well. You want to be true to this as much as possible, yet you don’t want to be a drag. I’m starting to see that become a thing as the week progresses.

3. My friends make it difficult to be No Impact as well. When going to golf today I was not able to find a carpool because they had already left for practice. I am glad you are getting some relaxation during this time of the semester. I’m personally struggling to find time.

4. I was thinking the exact same thing about it raining tomorrow, it was easy today to sit in the sun and just hang out with the beautiful weather but I think tomorrow is going to be more of a struggle. I figured maybe ill just get ahead of my homework and reading… but the question is do I print my online articles that I have to read or do I read them on the computer? I hadn’t really thought about which one would be more environmentally friendly before.