3

An interesting first day

My first No Impact Day actually began around midnight when I had substituted sugar packets with honey. It was a pleasant surprise seeing as how it did not taste as terrible as I had imagined. But it got me thinking that the entire week was going to be a dramatic change to what I was so used to doing. I knew that things would be weird at first and that I may have to be faced with one of the most difficult things in my life.

I left my room in the morning after I had unplugged my electronics and after coming back from my classes I had decided to take two bottles for my water and coffee. Not eating meat was not a problem for me. What was a major struggle was that because I was so used to eating at Slayter for dinner, I had a hard time adjusting to eating at Curtis and not do work at the same time. I guess it was a huge change in my daily routine that I had not thought of before.

Yet this week has led me to appreciate the weather outside a bit more. I took a small walk around Granville before heading to my dorm and it was perfect. The weather was ideal, warm and breezy. It felt nice appreciating the outdoors without the need to be staring at a computer screen for a long time.

Living a day trying to limit my environmental impact is going to be a challenge. But yet I am optimistic that I am going to learn more about how much I contribute to the environment. I am excited about what will happen tomorrow.

Omar Vargas

1. I completely agree with you in that this week has allowed me to appreciate the weather a bit more! I always have a couple of hours in between my 12:30 class and lacrosse practice, so today I decided to sit outside on a bench and read in the sun. It gave me a boost of energy, happiness, and helped my tan a little bit 🙂 I’m hoping the weather keeps up so that I’m not stuck inside!

2. I feel your pain man. I have an 11:30 class and can’t eat lunch in the dining hall. I used to eat at Slayter but that doesn’t really work well with no impact week.