3

Day 1: Local Food?

Day 1 of No Impact Week went okay — not perfect, but definitely not as hard as I thought it would be. I unplugged everything but the fridge before I left for class, didn’t turn on any lights, and managed to take a 4 minute shower (which is a small miracle). I had three food goals for No Impact Week: eat vegetarian every day, avoid processed food, and try to eat food locally grown in the Midwest. The first two goals were not hard, but the locally grown goal really made things challenging since it isn’t really the season for anything right now. Most of the food products that had “local” on the sign in the dining hall was sliced cheese and the hamburgers, and I couldn’t find the Smiling With Hope Bakery bagels or almost any local veggies. I tried the tofu scramble made with local eggs and did not like it, so I will have to find an alternative or readjust my local goal to just trying to stay away from foods I¬†know are from far away, like coffee, chocolate or a lot of fruits. I convinced one of my roommates to eat vegetarian with me for a week, and she seemed excited about it! I think another hard part will be avoiding my laptop and TV because I am addicted to watching movies, so hopefully I can focus on other things (like homework, unfortunately), and get some “ho-hum” into my life.

Rachel Auerbach

1. Tofu is horrendous in any capacity. Stay away from it…check out the salad bar, especially at huffman. It has a variety of foods and is certain to give you solid nutrition! Why against coffee? Good luck on your endeavor, Rachel!

2. I’m having a hard time eating locally in the dining hall too- too bad it’s not the season for veggies and fruits here. I did have a pleasant surprise trying the local Cleveland tofu though, it was really good!

3. If you are looking for local food, try Snowville Creamery. It’s based in Pomeroy, Ohio and it’s only an hour and 45 minutes away from Granville where it is made. They sell some at Ross and they come in an array of flavors. There is also a coffee flavored version and it is pretty good! I think they also have other milk products as well.
    But aside from that, local food eating at Denison can be a struggle, especially if you aren’t used to eating only local food. I think I am leaning towards eating vegetarian for this week too.