Day 3: Going Hungry

Not being able to spend money has been the key to being no impact for me. My daily life hasn’t really changed all that much. The only problem is that I can’t eat a lot of the time. Today was extra hard because I couldn’t go to lunch because of my 11:30 class, and I can’t to Huffman dinner because of an project where I need to go watch track practice. Track practice is at 4:30 – 6:30. I usually stay from 5-6. Huff man opens at 5. We’ll normally I would just go after, but today I also have a team meeting at 6, then a team function at 7. I’m stuck between food and work/social life. I feel like I’m fasting for not impact week.

I ended up caving and ordered a pizza. After I wrote the first part of my post I went and swam. That was the breaking point for my hunger. I don’t think I could of made it threw the rest of my day with only breakfast.

Today has really got me thinking about what is really practical. I think that being an athlete in college and being sustainable don’t really work that well together. The only time I can swim is 12-1:30. I have a class from 11:30 to 12:20. I cant go to Huffman lunch. Thats normally fine because Slayter never closes, but its not as sustainable as Huffman. Today made me question what was more important. I came to Denison to swim and part of me wants to prioritize that over the environment. I don’t think that I can afford to miss working out for a day and rationalized ordering the pizza that way. I did recycle all of the cardboard that wasn’t stained though.

-Jesse

Jesse Smith