2

What is this I? What is this We?

So-as I mentioned in class, Colin begins to ask some heavy questions in the book. He writes, “What if we don’t really understand this ‘I’ and what its true purpose is? What if we kill the planet filling our desires and then discover that that’s not what we were here for? Isn’t this worth stopping to figure out?” My hope is that you took at least a few minutes to stop and think about these big questions this week. And from looking at your posts, a lot of you did…so kudos!

But the other cool part that I didn’t really get to in class was how we are accountable as a community as well. A lot of you question whether we can really make a difference individually. But hopefully you see that when you are in a collective you feel more influential, and perhaps more optimistic about your successes….there is really something to say about the power of peer pressure and collective action! So, even if at times this week you felt alone, I just want to remind us that we are all in this together. One of my favorite quotes in the book is on p. 90 when Kurt Vonnegut is asking his son what he thinks the purpose of life is because he, himself, doesn’t have a clue. His son responds, ‘we are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is’.  I very much think that the only way we will be able to combat our environmental woes is through community building….we are very much here to help each other get through this thing.

HAVE A FANTASTIC (IMPACT-LESS) WEEKEND!

aguilaro

1. The Vonnegut quote resonated very deeply with me as well…I think it just further emphasizes how important agency is regarding both this project and our own life goals.

2. Probably my new favorite quote, amazing how children the smallest part of our society can see the world with unbiased eyes and see the world for what it is. As you get old things get clouded by opinion. Kids see the truth and this quote proves it.
    Keep on keepin on