1

the things we think about

Yesterday turned out to be a nice start to NI week. We threw together almost an entirely local meal that we pretty tasty. However it did include meat- which really might put me in a bind with my meat consumption goals- but I’ll return to this later.

What I’m most concerned about today is the fact that I gave up a Reese’s peanut butter egg last night to avoid trash. It seemed like it would be a small indulgence, but it would have added a second item to my trash just on the first day. So, I went without. Then I started thinking maybe I’m really doing something good by not eating that candy. Maybe that piece of candy contributes to child labor or unfair wages or horrible working conditions. Maybe that candy uses palm oil, which severely threatens orangutans’ habitat. So, I did some research. It looks like Hershey (which is the parent company of Reese’s) is really trying to ensure that their cocoa is from certified sustainable sources- whether they are successful is debatable (read more here http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/jul/06/hersheys-mars-ferrero-cocoa-farming-fair-trade-global-exchange). And as far as palm oil, Hershey maintains that their palm oil is sustainable and traceable (https://www.thehersheycompany.com/our-ingredients/what-we-believe/ingredient-information/ingredient-topics/palm-oil.aspx).

The good news…maybe a peanut butter egg isn’t so bad- except for that trash. The bad news….about 20 minutes ago I was washing my hands in Barney-Davis, thinking about how unsustainable the sinks were (do you know where this is going)- when I turned around grabbed a paper towel to dry my hands, threw it in the trash and shut off the lights- because No Impact, right? In a second my trash goals were foiled again…and believe me, I would not have minded going without a paper towel. So, I gave up the candy to avoid trash and still can’t give up the habit of paper towels…even when I’m conscious of No Impact.

“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.”
Mahatma Gandhi

aguilaro

1. I find myself in some of these situations often. Every time I sit at my desk, there is a beautiful hand wrapped chocolate bar from South Africa just daring me to eat it. Unfortunately, I have no way to trace the impacts of this chocolate bar…

In regards to washing my hands, I have been trying to keep a small wash cloth to dry my hands instead of using paper towels. It is not fun when I forget my towel in my room or my backpack and either have to walk back to my room or class with dripping wet hands!