3

I really tried to make a minimal impact today. I didn’t produce any trash although I had some paper recyclables. One thing I haven’t been able to do is unplug the fan. My room is perpetually hot and the weather has made it especially bad. My roommate has made it clear that going without the fan is not an option. However, I do unplug it when she’s out of the room.

I’ve had some good conversations with friends about reducing impact and it’s been interesting to discuss. With Earth Day coming up hopefully there will be some more good and productive discussion.

I’m going to try my best to make even less of impact tomorrow.

kahn_m1

1. That really stinks that your room is so hot. I am lucky enough to catch a nice breeze with my window open. But we are almost through! I have also found myself telling people about no impact week because my friends are either curious as to why I am worried about certain things like recycling, or I just want to spread the word. It’s interesting to see how they react. Most of them think it is cool though. Good luck with the rest of the week!

2. That is one thing that I deal with too. Because I live at home, my whole family is extremely rooted into their habits of consuming and wasting. Every night they make dinner with food that is not local and creates a huge waste stream, they turn on all of the lights, turn on the air conditioning with the door slightly ajar out back so that the dogs can get in and out, and then sit down in front of the television all night until they wake up and do it again the next day. They seem uncomfortable falling out of the monotony of their everyday life, which makes me think that, maybe, this is the new form of ho hum in our society.

3. the window fan has been quite tempting the last few nights.