2

Last Day. . . And Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day everyone! I think my last day of No Impact went well, except for the “No Waste” dinner in Slayter tonight. The food wasn’t bad, but I think the concept could use some work. The meal was supposed to be utensil-free, which worked for the majority of the foods, but not the quinoa salad I got. There was no way for me to eat it without a fork. . . If I used my hands, I’d have to waste the disposable napkins provided, and if I didn’t eat it, I would be wasting the food. The dinner was supposed to be no-waste in theory, but I’m sure many napkins went to waste from wiping off dirty hands.

As for the rest of my day, I didn’t produce much waste other than from my dinner in Slayter. My friends and I walked to Whit’s afterwards, and I got two pieces of trash out of that (cup and spoon). Regarding electricity, I managed to keep the lights off for the majority of the day and did my work in the library, although I did need to charge my computer.

Reflecting on this week made me notice how much more conscious I am of my own impact. I now notice almost every time I grab a paper towel or fork or anything else disposable. I’ve been paying more attention to my shower times, how many lights I have on, and what unnecessary appliances I have plugged in. From this week, I’ve learned how subconscious my own waste is.

I think today was a relatively successful end to No Impact Week, nice job everyone on their accomplishments!

Grace Zukowski

1. I noticed the same thing about the Slayter dinner. It was a good idea but the execution didn’t quite work out. Congrats on the week! Sounds like it was a success!

2. You put a lot of effort into this week. I definitely see where you’re coming from with the “No Waste” dinner. I really like your ideas regarding how it can improve. Good job Grace!