3

another NIW in the books

Well, I still only have my trash from this morning…and don’t plan on creating anymore waste today. Even though I did not meet my trash goals, I still felt pretty good about my overall accumulation, which was probably 1/4-1/3 of what it is in a normal week. Imagine if I did this more, that would save so much waste, and by default, so much consumption of resources. 

Even more, I keep thinking about our conversation in class and how this project could have ripple effects that go beyond our class and immediate surroundings. This is one of the hardest things, I think, for us to wrap our heads around….the things we do have both local and global impacts. Even though not consuming something today seems like it only affects us, it can affect someone across the globe. That is very powerful and very important to know. 

One last thought….I think in today’s society, it is easy, as Colin says, to go about our everyday without thinking about our actions…there are so many other things to think about. We don’t have the time to sit and be with ourselves, reflect on ourselves or question our actions. And so, we begin to fear this….we begin to fear what it means to just understand ourselves and our actions. I think if more people took the time to do this, we might value ourselves more, we might value others more, we might be less quick to judge and more willing to empathize. Empathy is a big aspect of a liberal arts education, as is action. So, I think this week was a great way to actually see the liberal arts at play. I hope you enjoyed it (at least a little). 

aguilaro

1. I really enjoyed the conversation in class about ripple effects too and think it really is powerful. It’s like we’re paying it forward, if each person does one good deed and then encourages the next person to, before we know it we could actually make the world better/ more sustainable. Really cool.

2. I was really proud of my trash this week my goal was 10 pieces of trash. Honestly, I didn’t think make it. Somehow, I had 5 pieces of trash. Overall I definitely started to rethink the amount of effort I need to put into reusable items. I thought it would be a lot more of a hassle and for the first few days it was, but once I got used to it I was really proud when I ate with my own utensils.

3. I too was proud of myself for the amount of trash I produced. The level was way under what I had expected at the beginning of the week. I like the comment you make about trying to wrap our heads around our local and global impacts. In my blog I talked about how this project made me change the way I looked at unnecessary luxuries. I hope that I will continue to consider the environmental impact of these things throughout the future.