3

No Impact week is coming to a wrap and I have to say I don’t think I did as well as I could have. Coming into the week, I had underestimated how much differently I would have to behave to really meet all the goals I had made. However, I still feel happy about participating in this project, even if it be for only a week. It wasn’t bad to get away from technology more than I usually do. Like Colin, I felt like this project helped provide me more opportunities to be social, and better take in the space around me rather than getting caught up in all of the distractions this generation has to offer. My biggest problem was dealing with finding food that doesn’t contribute significant amounts of waste because of wrapping. This is the area where I cheated myself. I found myself getting something in slayter almost half of the days. All in all, it was a positive experience to consciously change my lifestyle for a week.

root_t1

1. I agree with what you were saying about changing what’s considered “normal”. I really liked the comment Sara made today about how we are always buying things just to throw them away. I think I’m going to start thinking about how many times I can used something before I buy it.

2. Like me, Slayter is always so tempting because of all the options, for the most part, taste good, are quick, and can be brought somewhere else. Maybe you could try getting a Tupperware container for the next time you go to Slayter. I agree with you, it was nice to consciously change your habits for the better. It does require a lot of effort, however, since Colin had 1 year to get things figured out, it was much easier for him and more of a lifestyle. Since we only had five days, it was much harder.

3. I agree it was nice to have an excuse to go against norms like constantly using computers and technology. Do you think you can continue doing some little things to fix your habits of wasting?